Frequently Asked Plumbing Questions
1. How and Why Does My Drain Get Clogged?
Most drains get clogged from improper use. This is especially true with the kitchen drain. Drains in the restroom can get clogged for many reasons, such as hair, soap, and toothpaste buildup over time. It’s a good idea to get your drains cleaned periodically and let us treat them with an enzyme to prevent future buildup.
2. Why Do We Not Have Enough Hot Water Like We Used To?
This can be due to the age of the water heater and the lack of maintenance it’s received over time. Most water heaters last 10-12 years depending on the quality of your water. After a long period of time in your home, it can start to show signs of performance issues.
3. Why Should I Choose a Tankless Water Heater?
Most tank water heaters have an 82% efficiency rating while tankless water heaters have a 96% efficiency rating. Tank water heaters will heat the water even when it’s not on-demand. Your tank water heater will run even when you’re at work or on vacation unless you set it to a different standard. A tankless water heater only runs when it’s asked to. It uses no energy except at this time. There is no recovery time on a tankless water heater. This is the beauty of this system–you can have hot water whenever you need it. On top of this, the heat exchanger is typically warrantied for 15 years. This means you can rely on it for years to come.
4. Why Does My Toilet Keep Running?
Many times, a running toilet is due to the flapper in the tank not sealing properly any longer. Ongoing problems with this unit are a sign it needs to be replaced. The issue is that a broken flapper will cause the fill valve to continue to try and fill the tank to the fill level. You may also have a fill valve that is not closing when it should and will continue to try and fill the tank.
5. Why Is My Water Bill Suddenly Higher Than Normal?
If you have high water bills, it’s important to check your fixtures first. This includes toilets, sinks, and bath faucets to ensure they are not running. If you have no issues there it might be something more serious, however. typically it’s something in the home not shutting off properly.
6. What Do I Do If I Have a Serious Water Leak In My Home?
The first thing you should do is shut the water main off to the house immediately. The next is to call a plumber who can find the leak. You should know where the shut-off is for your home along with family members, house sitters, etc. for circumstances like this. If you need help, we can mark all the important shut-off valves for your home with valve tags.
7. Can I Put Anything I Want Down My Disposal?
You need to use caution when using your disposal. We recommend always running hot water when using your disposal. Small debris from dishes is fine along with some vegetable peels. Try to avoid massive amounts of food, bones, coffee grounds, and grease. The key to a healthy garbage disposal is to use it in moderation and run plenty of water.
8. Can I Use Drain Cleaner Chemicals In My Drains?
No, most chemical drain cleaners are not only toxic but dangerous to use. They often cause more harm than good. For example, if you have an older home with worn pipes they can damage your piping. A drain cleaning machine or mini jetter is a much better solution.
9. Why do I Hear Banging or Knocking From My Water Heater?
In some cases, your water heater’s temperature may be turned up too high which produces steam and sediment in the tank. We suggest adjusting the temperature of your water heater and having a professional flush your tank. Our professionals can gauge the pressure level of your tank and set you on the right track.
10. How Do I Choose The Right Plumber?
Choosing the right plumber starts with their qualifications. Always make sure that:
- Your plumber is properly licensed and insured.
- You can check on the reviews the company has received and how long they have been in business. (The BBB and Google are a good way to check on a company’s reputation and standards.)
- They have a good warranty policy and are a local reputable company. Many franchise companies have very limited warranties.
- You can get a free estimate before the work is done.
These are all the markings of a great plumber.